1. Cooked Bottlegourd-Sorakaya is cooling, calming and acts as diuretic. It makes you relax after eating. But don’t eat the vegetable raw as it can harm the stomach and intestines.
2. The juice of bottle gourd is a valuable medicine for excessive thirst due to severe diarrhea, diabetes and excessive use of fatty or fried foods.
3. The Gourd fruit juice is used in the treatment of insanity, epilepsy and other nervous diseases. 4. The juice of the fruit is used in the treatment of stomach acidity, indigestion and ulcers.
5. Bottle gourd is not only rich in essential minerals, iron, protein and trace elements; it is also rich in fibre. Fibre helps in preventing constipation and other digestive disorders like flatulence and piles.
6. Bottle gourd is recommended by ayurvedic physicians for balancing the liver function, when the liver is inflamed and cannot efficiently process food for maximum nutrition and assimilation. 7. Ancient Ayurveda says, drinking fresh bottle gourd juice in the morning on a regular basis can be very useful for prevention and treatment of prematurely greying hair.
8. Bottle gourd is also considered one of the best weight loss foods since it is 96 percent water and provides just 12 calories per 100g of serving.
9. The juice from bottle gourd leaf helps in curing baldness and aids in preventing tooth decay. 10. Sesame oil when mixed with bottle gourd juice helps to cure problems of insomnia. The leaves of the gourd when consumed in cooked forms cools the brains and helps in curing sleep related problems and aids in sleeping better.
11. High in sodium and potassium, bottle gourd is an excellent vegetable for hypertensionpatients.
12. The bitter variety of calabash gourd is considered as a cardiac tonic, an antidote for poisoning and a tonic for alleviating bronchitis, cough, asthma, and biligenic affections.
13. Bottle gourd juice